Friday, September 25, 2009

Week 4- Blog Post#7-Second Life

What an adventure, with every visit to a number of locations in Second Life, I rarely saw anyone. Now, I must log in at varying times and days of the week, but I find myself visiting empty buildings. I continue to struggle maneuvering my Avatar around, and I can’t seem to open up any boxes. My Avatar is either wearing a box on her head or around her waist. If that’s not bad enough, I found in my inventory something called angel blades and thinking they were wings I pressed the apply button. (Lol) I discovered it to be a huge arrow with the point mounted on my Avatar’s head and the shaft through the body protruding out my backside. Tragic!

            Managing to drum up enough courage and return to an area called Multiple Intelligence, http://slurl.com/secondlife/koru/58/212/0   I wanted to create something with the blocks, but I had no idea how to move them.  Somehow, to play the drums in the music area made me so proud of my Avatar. But then I realized, that if she were asked to repeat her musical ability, she would find it difficult.

            I visited the headquarters for ISTI, http://www.iste.org/content/navigationmenu/membershi_member_networking/iste_second_life.html the Teacher’s Blogging Hut, several art galleries, Blackwater Art Gallery (one of my favorite places), a SL Film school, and a Gaming building, which had several board games available to play. But sadly nobody was present. I did sign up for several groups, but I haven’t seen anyone. Once I was so excited when I transported myself to (who knows where) and saw an Avatar. She looked at me and said, “Can you talk?” Well, I fumbled around looking for the talk button to greet her, but she gave up a started to walk away saying, “You obviously you don’t know what the… you are doing”. Oh, and after she walked away I found the text box and wrote, “Hi!” (To nobody) and concluded writing “Well, I blew that!” Texting to myself I guess, is like, virtually talking to ones’ self. Boy, do I feel foolish.

            Accessing where my biggest hurtles are in the SL world, I would have to admit not being able to effectively maneuvering my Avatar hinders me from freely exploring all that SL has to offer. Therefore, I purchased a book, ”Scripting your world: the official guide to second life scripting” by Dana Moore, Michael Thome, and Dr. Karen Zita Haigh (2008) The book was written for the new generation of software developers…” in mind as well as the common Second Life resident.”(p.iii) Joe Miller, the Vice President of Technology and Platform Development Linden Labs, had this to say about the book. “We at Linden Labs believe this book serves as an educational travel companion for exploration of the innovative, virtual world.” (p.iii) I hope this book helps me overcome many obstacles I face every time I enter the virtual world.  All I can remember about programming is the term binomials, having key cards to enter into a main frame and creating a silhouette of a mouse on paper with xxxx000xxxx0000 patterns. I know, totally the dark ages.


  
Reference

            Moore Dana, Thome Michael, Zia Haigh Karen Dr, “scripting your world: the official guide to second life scripting, 2008, Wiley Publishing, Inc. Indianapolis, Indiana


No comments:

Post a Comment